Thursday, January 20, 2011

Still idling

The traffic light may be broken, it's been red so long. But sometimes you aren't in a big hurry and you have stuff to think about, or songs to listen to, so a forced hiatus at the intersection feels more like a reprieve than a delay. But now I'm getting the sense that I should be moving on, and that I've got the switch that runs the light in my hand. If I don't flip it, then it's foot-dragging.

I wanted a tone that was more striking, more distinct and even idiosyncratic, not just accomplished. Though perhaps I should not be worrying about such things at this moment. Better to get the boat back in the water. I also wanted to learn everything, but I probably don't need to know everything.

I want to talk about geology and changes in the earth on a much larger temporal scale, so that in comparison, jumping a couple hundred years back and forth, as an individual, would not seem so special.

I want to make Bloem more vibrant, put her at greater risk, interpersonally, put the controls in her hands, and put her at the mercy of forces she can't control.

No comments: